Monday, May 26, 2014

When We Are the Answer to Other Peoples' Prayers...

Africa can be cruel.  I learned that a long time ago.  I love this continent; I love these people – but to be honest, sometimes I don’t always like how hard life can get here.  It’s tough.  One of my former pastors in California used to travel to India regularly, and his description of the feeling he experienced upon his arrivals always made me laugh.  He would say, “Every time I land in India, I have two simultaneous thoughts.  Number one:  I’m home.  Number two:  $#!%!”  I can relate to the feeling.  For nearly three weeks now, I’ve been battling some bizarre African mystery illness, and the temptation to give up has crept into my mind far too many times.  It’s been frustrating, painful, isolating, and at times downright hopeless.

Africa is a place where hopelessness can be experienced tangibly.  There are so many people suffering that it can be overwhelming.  A few weeks ago, I met several families who were the embodiment of hopelessness.  These people were literally starving, wasting away from malnutrition, possessing nothing – no food, no money, no hope.  I knew they were hopeless the moment I laid eyes on them.  I knew they’d given up.  I could see it in their eyes and hear it in their exhausted words.  And I didn’t blame them.  I tried to look for hope in their circumstances, but I found none.  I couldn’t lie to them.  I couldn’t tell them things would be fine.  What do you say to someone who has completely, utterly lost all hope?

I suppose sometimes when we don’t know what to say, all God asks us to do is listen.  So that’s what I did.  And fortunately, hopelessness is not the end of this story. 

Let me rewind.  At the start of May, my roommates Christie and Ashley accompanied me on a journey to a village about seven hours outside Kampala called Soroti.  I asked them to come with me to visit a dear friend of mine, Pastor Robert, one of the men who I worked with in Kampala during 2006 and 2007.  Pastor Robert was raised in Soroti, came to Kampala as an adult, spent several years in the capital, and returned to Soroti a few years ago.  We’ve kept up with one another’s journeys throughout the last eight years, and I was curious to see his home.  I had little expectations about my time in Soroti; I simply wanted to visit Robert and see what ministry he was up to in his village.  Our time was limited, so we only had one full day together…but it’s amazing what can happen in just one day.

Pastor Robert and some friends took Christie, Ashley, and me into the villages deep inside Soroti.  Our city life in Kampala does not look like the stereotypical picture of Africa, but these remote villages match it perfectly.  We drove through wild dirt roads, weaving between patches of lush vegetation, gorgeous trees towering over us as we got deeper and deeper into the bush.  Every time it seemed as if we were in the middle of nowhere, we’d reach clearings in the bush – purposely carved out patches of dirt where several mud huts had been erected.  Each family had its own mini-compound with huts to sleep in and cook in.

Pastor Robert explained that we would visit five families and that we could ask any questions we wanted through the help of his translation.  I didn’t know what we were really supposed to be doing or what we would ask.  However, when we reached the families, I quickly found that I didn’t need to say much of anything.  The families had plenty to say and just wanted someone to listen and to care.

Each family was suffering from desperation of a different need.  Without asking a thing, the heads of each household offered us seats and began to spill their guts.  The first family was an old grandmother raising six children.  She explained how she tried to dig and garden to support the family, but she was old and her whole body was full of pain.  Despite her old age, she looked strong – yet somehow defeated.  She was trying to hold things together for her family, but she knew it was only a matter of time before she would no longer be able to provide – whether she became too weak or passed away.

At the next compound, we were greeted by another elderly lady who was missing one leg and was sitting in the dirt in front of a mud hut.  Upon our arrival, she looked quite surprised at a visit from three young, white ladies and began to speak excitedly in her local language.  Pastor Robert explained that the old woman thought God had forgotten her.  She felt overlooked and abandoned by people and by God.  She asked us to look inside the mud hut where she slept, explaining that her dismal living conditions were unbearable.  An old mosquito net was draped over a barren dirt floor.  We looked up to see that the roof of the hut was broken, a large hole atop the building that let in constant rain.  The woman went on to explain the difficulties of being lame within a village where she had no access to healthcare and no way to move around.  Unable to transport herself, she was forced to sit in the compound all day, every day, feeling forgotten and alone.  Sadly, the woman explained that she’d never married and regretted the fact that she didn’t have any children.  Yet, when she looked at us, we told her that she could adopt the three of us as her daughters, and the look of disappointment seemed to melt away.  “You have three white daughters now!” we joked, as the woman’s face lit up.  We sat with her, Christie holding her hand and smiling into the woman’s eyes.  The woman smiled back, with genuine joy as she said, “I finally have daughters now.  God hasn’t forgotten me.” 

At our third household, we met a young woman named Stella who had a two-week-old baby and several other children.  She’d been recently widowed and had no money or energy to provide food for her children.  She was attempting to breastfeed her new baby but had no nutrients inside her own body to pass on to the infant.  Her face was the personification of hopelessness.  I didn’t know what to say to this poor woman, so I didn’t really say anything.  I just listened and prayed.

The fourth household was another elderly woman raising several young children who had run completely dry on hope, and the fifth and final compound simply undid me.  Perhaps thirty or forty people gathered around and put us visitors in seats in front of them.  Though feeling awkwardly positioned, I soon forgot about awkwardness and became engrossed in the story shared with me.  A young girl bravely spoke up, sharing the situation with her family.  The girl, just twenty years old, was the oldest in her family and had taken on all responsibility to provide for the younger ones.  With tears in her eyes, she explained that she had sickle cell and was in constant pain but needed to work to provide for the family.  The next sister was seventeen and desperately needed money for school books but couldn’t afford them.  The girl with sickle cell talked for a long time, tears pouring from her eyes.  I am thirty and sometimes feel like I can barely take care of myself.  I can’t imagine being ten years younger and carrying the burden of taking care of countless younger siblings – with no job, no money, and terrible health.  The girl removed us from the crowd and brought us to the hut where she slept as she continued to cry.  I looked up to see another broken roof that allowed rain to pour through.  I wanted to help all the families, but this weeping girl gave me an added sense of urgency.  “I will find a way to pay for and repair your roof,” I blurted out.  I’d been afraid to promise too much to all of these families, but I knew I had to start somewhere.  The girl thanked me but still looked completely despondent. 

In Kampala, I see needy people all the time, and poverty is rampant.  But still, Soroti was different.  This was worse.  At least in Kampala, there are NGOs and doctors and people who will throw a few hundred shillings on the street as they pass by beggars.  But there in the bush, there was NO help, NO healthcare, NO nothing.  The people were absolutely desperate.

Christie, Ashley, and I rode back to town with Pastor Robert and took some time to digest what we’d seen.  We knew we couldn’t go back to Kampala without doing anything; we also knew handouts would be temporary acts of charity that would quickly disappear.  Unsure of what to do, we spoke with Pastor Robert and formulated a plan.  Christie had some donations from her church, and I had some tithe money I needed to give away, so we decided to divvy up the cash and see how we could stretch it.  We listed all of the short-term needs: feeding the young mother Stella until she got her strength back, repairing the two broken roofs, getting books for the seventeen year old, etc.  We then picked Pastor Robert’s brain on how we could provide long-term food for the families.  If we hired people to plant gardens at each compound, food would be abundant within two to three months of growing.  And harvesting these crops (labor included) would only be about sixty U.S. dollars per family – a harvest that would feed them for a full year!  We crunched the numbers and figured out a way to feed the families long-term and take care of their short-term needs while the seeds were still growing. 

The next morning, Christie, Ashley, and I headed back to Kampala and left Pastor Robert to carry out our plan.  Since we’ve gotten back to the capital, Robert has reported that he’s visited each family regularly and explained to them that they will be given help getting a farm started for the next year.  He relayed to us that the families were completely shocked and incredibly relieved to know they will be provided for.  He’s been visiting Stella, who has been eating well now and excitedly showed Robert her new garden.  He said that she is walking around with strength and energy, very different from the barely-moving woman who apathetically sat beside us as she tried to breastfeed a baby without any nutrients in her own body.  He said the old woman with one leg has said she is missing her white daughters, but she is smiley and happy.  Her roof is scheduled to be repaired, and she believes God finally answered her prayers and didn’t abandon her after all.

With these reports, I was filled with joy and excitement at how quickly and easily some major issues could be remedied.  It was simply a matter of being connected with them at the right time and having an amazing local friend willing to carry out the legwork needed to help these people.  Shortly after returning from Soroti, a random man stumbled upon some of Christie’s pictures online and contacted her to let her know he has a ministry that feeds hungry people around the world – for life.  He asked how he could get connected to Soroti and said he might be able to provide a nutritious diet for these families for the rest of their lives.  I was blown away.  We were only in the village for ONE DAY, really just a few hours.  Yet, after sharing the stories, offering a tiny bit of money, and getting connected to the right people, there are now several families who are going to be taken care of forever.  That’s crazy, right?!  Honestly, we hardly did anything.  We just followed Pastor Robert around, listened to a few desperate stories, and asked what we could do.  And God is just knitting the details together and blowing these families away with His provision. 

It made me think of a pastor in L.A. who I once heard say, “Christians are the answers to other peoples’ unanswered prayers.”  Even though we often ask God to provide for people in miraculous ways (which He definitely does), perhaps God is actually asking us to be the answer to others’ prayers.  God could do it all Himself, but often He chooses not to.  Instead, He invites us to be a part of the answer and a part of His story.  He could have rained food down from heaven onto those families in Soroti and miraculously fixed their leaky roofs, but instead He let us get to do it.  He let us be a part of those families’ lives and be the answer to their prayers.  The old woman with one leg had been praying to be noticed, to have children, and to have her roof fixed.  I don’t how we got so lucky, but God sent Christie, Ashley, and me to that sweet old woman.  We got to see the look on her face when she realized God hadn’t forgotten her; we got to see her smile when she adopted us as her daughters; we got the satisfaction of knowing her roof will soon be fixed.  God didn’t need us to be the answer to this woman’s prayers, but he let us be the answer to her prayers.

I am willing to bet there are hundreds, thousands, maybe even millions of people around the world who are praying right now – with thoughts and worries on their hearts about which they are desperately awaiting answers.  And perhaps Jesus will zap these worries away, as He often does.  But maybe, just maybe, we are the ones God is asking to answer those prayers – to visit the sick, to feed the hungry, to sit with the lonely.  I say this not to burden you with attempting to fix the problems of the world; of course we cannot manage such a thing.  However, I want to challenge you and myself to keep our eyes open for opportunities where we can be the hands and feet of God and where we can take part in the blessing in being the answers to others’ prayers.


“Christ has no body now on earth but yours, no hands but yours, no feet but yours; yours are the eyes through which to look at Christ's compassion to the world, yours are the feet with which he is to go about doing good, and yours are the hands with which he is to bless us now."      - St. Teresa of Avila

No comments:

Post a Comment